The purpose of this guide is to learn how to use the GoldPASS system to aid you in exploring different career opportunities.
GoldPASS is the U of M job and internship listings site created just for U of M students and alumni. On it you can find thousands of postings for jobs, internships, and volunteer positions. You can upload resumes for employers to access, sign up for on-campus recruiting opportunities, and see upcoming career fairs and events through your college and the university. GoldPASS is powered by the company, Handshake. Carlson School of Management students use The Edge; for specific questions about The Edge, refer to your career center in Carlson.
A. To get started with your GoldPASS account, go to goldpass.umn.edu and login using your UMN email address and password.
B. Fill out your profile and career interests to help customize your search. If you are a returning user, you can always update your career interests and saved searches by going to your name in the upper right-hand corner and clicking on the drop down options of My Profile or Career Interests. Your profile defaults to a public setting visible to employers. If you want your profile to be private, update the setting in My Profile.
C. If you want to apply for jobs and internships, you will need to upload your resume. Visit your career center for help in creating or updating your resume.
Once you have created your account, there are several features of GoldPASS that can help you explore and learn about career opportunities. Listed below are steps to help you search through job and internship postings. Looking at job and internship postings is a great way to get a better sense of what real employers are looking for, and also to see current job descriptions in career fields you may be interested in.
- Click on Jobs in the blue area at the top of the screen.
- To narrow your search, click the Filters option. You can filter your search by different Industry and Job Functions areas. As an exploring student, you can use the list to explore career areas you are considering or use it to find new areas to explore. If you filled in the Career Interest areas in your Profile section, you will see suggestions based on the interests you selected. If you didn’t update your interests, you will see recently popular industry searches from other students.
- Scroll through your search results. When you see an interesting job title, click on it to see the full details. (If your search generated too many or too few results to browse, try updating your search with different criteria)
- Review the job profile thoroughly. Here are some things to consider:
- What company is hiring for this position?
- Where is this job located?
- What is its job description? Does the job sound interesting?
- What are the qualifications of the job? What qualifications do you already meet? Are there certain skills or experiences you would need to gain in order to be qualified?
- What are the hours and expected salary for the job? Does this meet your expectations?
- What degrees/majors are required for the job? Is the employer asking for a specific major?
- Take notes on the jobs you found that you are most interested in, or click the Favorite button to save for future reference.
For additional resources in searching for jobs and saving searches, here are two links from Handshake:
C2: Discover Careers on GoldPass