The purpose of this action guide is to become familiarized with the "What If" APAS (major shopping) and to explore majors with the report.
The APAS (Academic Progress Audit System) shows how your coursework applies to Liberal Education and degree requirements for your declared major. The "What If" APAS report allows you to generate a sample report for any undergraduate major at the U of M so you can see what requirements you may have already met.
The APAS (Academic Progress Audit System) is a report that provides information about degree requirements, courses that fulfill those requirements, and how the courses you have taken satisfy degree requirements for particular majors. It is personalized to you, showing how your coursework applies to Liberal Education and degree requirements for your declared major. The "What If" APAS report allows you to generate a sample report for any undergraduate major at the U of M to see how your completed and/or in-progress coursework fits with the requirements of a different degree program.
When a student is about to graduate from the University, it is the APAS report that is reviewed by advisors and processors to make sure a student has fulfilled all their liberal education requirements AND all their major requirements for graduation and degree clearance.
The student is also responsible for their APAS report being complete and correct. A student should check their APAS report each semester, especially right after registering for classes, in case any classes are not fulfilling requirements as expected.
- Think of one or two majors you would like to consider.
- Go to this page and log in by clicking on “Check your APAS report.”
- Also you can access to "How to read your APAS report" information by clicking on APAS Help Window on the right side of the APAS main page. If you are unfamiliar with how to read your APAS report, we recommend viewing this information.
- From the main page look under the heading, "Other audit report options:" and click on "Generate a What If APAS Report (major shopping)".
- Choose the Campus, College, and Degree Program by clicking on “Go to next step” after each choice. Step 4 is Review, then Generate, click on “Generate a Report” to see the What If APAS.
- When your APAS report is generated, you will see the web version that has the multi-colored graphs at the top. Use this version for this exercise (not the Printer Friendly version) as it is easy to look at because it is coded green for completed or in progress (IP) requirements and red for incomplete requirements.
- Click on "Open All" so that you see the entire report. Carefully read the entire report noting the red and green areas.
- Consider the following questions below using the information in your report. If you would like type or draw out your responses, you may use DrawIsland, Word or the drawing tool of your choice; save the file and upload it below.